What is “Stain Index” and how do I calculate it with FCS Express?
What is the Stain Index?
The Stain Index is a method to help determine the relative intensity for a fluorochrome on a given instrument and is calculated for a fluorescent parameter by subtracting the Median of the negative population from the Median of the positive population, then dividing that quantity by the variance of the negative population, multiplied by 2.
Stain Index = (Median of Positive - Median of Negative) / (SD of Negative * 2)
By determining the relative brightness of a series of fluorochromes, flow cytometry users can simplify the process by which they design an experiment and use the Stain Index metric to match fluorochromes with a higher Stain Index to antigens that are of a lower density or a lower affinity, thus maximizing resolution sensitivity.
Calculating the Stain Index in FCS Express
With FCS Express, you can easily create your own Stain Index to help optimize your experiment for the best possible results. View our example Stain Index data in FCS Express using the free reader, a demonstration download, or your current FCS Express license. You can also view the layout as a PDF.
Resolution sensitivity (the ability to resolve a dim positive signal from background) depends upon the difference between positive and background peak means and the spread of the background peak. The stain index is a metric that captures both of these factors.
Stain index is easily calculated in FCS Express by using integrated spreadsheets. Simply drag and drop statistics from your plots or tables to enter the positive and negative median values in spreadsheet cells a as well as the negative population standard deviation. Once complete, your vales for Stain Index will update in real time as gates or data change in your analysis. View an example PDF of stain index analysis.
The Universal Antibody Titration Template in FCS Express provides users with an easy to use analysis template to evaluate and assess antibody titrations. Open the layout and walk through the Startup Script or follow instructions provided within the layout Standard Operating Procedures. After loading your titration data, adjust parameters, and modify or replace the scatter, negative staining, and positive staining gates as needed. Use the custom tokens to manually enter Titration Antibody and Concentration information and FCS Express will automatically name your batch processing output/report files and populate your spreadsheet for your regression plots.
With a few user actions, the Universal Antibody Titration Layout auto-generates the following regression plots: classic Stain Index, 84th Percentile Stain Index (Separation Index), Signal to noise ratio, and a comparison of the classic Stain Index and Separation Index. The optimal antibody concentration to use is auto-calculated by FCS Express in a spreadsheet using 90% of the vMax from the Stain Index, Separation Index, Signal to noise ratio regression plots. A second spreadsheet contains all the essential antibody titration statistics and is ready for export. A single click on the Run icon from the Batch tab, batch processing will promptly export your titration report files. Titration analysis is simple in FCS Express!
5 point, 6 point, and 7 point Universal Antibody Titration templates are available here:
Download the 5 Point Layout
Download the 6 Point Layout
Download the 7 Point Layout
View the full PDF instructions for step by step guidance on how to use the Universal Antibody Titration Template.
Stain index may also be calculated using the stain index function from the Custom Tokens dialog. Simply drag and drop statistics from your plots or tables to enter the positive and negative median values for the formula as well as the negative population standard deviation. Once complete, the custom token for Stain Index will update in real time as gates or data change in your analysis.
FCS Express 7 now has a Percentile function that allows you to use a defined Percentile within a stain index metric.
The short webinar below describes the theory behind the Stain Index metric and how to use FCS Express to quickly calculate and report Stain Index.
- Can I get more information regarding the Add-Ons that can be purchased with a license?
- Can I lock my template based on an electronic signature?
- Does FCS Express have any features to help meet 21 CFR Part 11 compliance?
- Does FCS Express have Quality Control features?
- Does FCS Express offer Single Sign On capability?
- How do I configure SQL Server to host a database for FCS Express?
- What database options are available when I purchase the Security option?
- What is the difference between the different types of Users that are available with a Security and Logging license?
- What is the difference between the Logging option and System Level Audit Trails?
- What SQL Server permissions are needed?
- Can I track usage of the internet dongle?
- Can I try out the Internet Dongle before I make a purchase?
- Can the administrator log users out?
- Do you have to be connected to the internet at all times with the Internet dongle?
- How can users be added to an internet dongle license?
- How do I activate my dongle?
- How do I change my internet dongle/site license password?
- How many people can be logged in at the same time?
- How many user accounts can I create?
- If a user left the computer running can the user log themselves out from another computer?
- What are the differences between the internet dongle and network licensing options?
- What happens if I lose my internet connection?
- What happens if the user leaves the computer without logging out?
- What happens to the users login in case of an unexpected interruption? For instance, a software crash, power failure, etc.
- Why am I receiving a message that FCS Express cannot connect to De Novo Software servers?
- Can I convert my Cytek license from the countercode licensing option to another licensing option?
- How can I claim my license purchased through BD Accuri Cytometers?
- How can I claim my license purchased through BD Biosciences?
- How can I claim my license purchased through Nexcelom Biosciences?
- How can I claim my license purchased through Sysmex-Partec GmbH?
- How can I claim the FCS Express license that came with my Cytek instrument purchase?
- Can FCS Express integrate Python scripts?
- Can I use the FlowAI script in FCS Express?
- Can I use the FlowClean R Script with FCS Express?
- How can I recreate ratiometric data acquired in FACSDiva?
- How do I use R Integration with FCS Express?
- How does FCS Express implement software compensation?
- If my data does not have a Time parameter, can I create one?
- What is compensation?
- What is the compensation workflow in FCS Express?
- Can I customize the display of my data from different instruments?
- Can I disable the live updating feature?
- How can I display all of my detectors for my Cytek data?
- How can I set FCS Express so my FCS 3.0 biexponential data looks the same as it did in the BD FACSDiva software?
- How do I display Summit data in FCS Express as it appears in the Summit Software?
- How do I fix the biexponential axes on a plot?
- How do I rescale CytoFLEX data so it displays as it did at acquisition?
- How do I update my density and contour plots created in Version 4 to use the newest color palette?
- What are resolution options?
- What is Biexponential and Hyperlog Scaling?
- What is the best way to set FCS Express to display FCS 3.0 data from FACSDiva on a 4 decade log scale?
- Where can I get more information regarding DNA analysis using the Multicycle AV?
- Why can’t I change my plot axis labels from the Name keyword to the Stain keyword?
- Why do my dot plots appear sparse and blocky?
- Why is the text on the right most label cut off my plot?
- How are statistics in FCS Express calculated compared to how they are calculated in BD FACSDiva?
- How can I display my statistical data in Scientific Notation?
- How do I calculate EC/IC Anything?
- What is “Stain Index” and how do I calculate it with FCS Express?
- What is MFI (Mean or Median Fluorescence Intensity) and how do I calculate it in FCS Express?
- Why is the Geometric Mean being reported as NaN or ##ERROR##?
- Are Beckman Coulter LMD files unique?
- Can I find a support resource page for the analysis of Cytek data in FCS Express?
- How can I easily create the "filename" column in the "ExtraKeywordsTable.csv" file?
- How can I load data from the BD Accuri C6 Flow Cytometer?
- How do I change the display in my plots from one data file to another data file?
- How do I export .ICE files from Thermo Cellomics HCS Studio?
- How do I tell FCS Express what plate size to use if that information is not included in the data file?
- How do I upload files to the De Novo Software FTP site?
- How do I use BD Accuri CFlow files with Multicycle DNA analysis in FCS Express?
- What is the Elapsed Time setting in the Gallios software and how do I convert it to real time?
- Why are there sometimes access violations when I save and load files?
- Why do I get the message that a data file exported from a FACSDiva™ Experiment is invalid?
- How do I adjust the axes to display small particle data from Amnis CellStream?
- How do I choose which images and parameters to view in a Data Grid?
- How do I export/save data from IDEAS software and load it in FCS Express?
- How do I make my images in the data grid larger?
- How do I pseudo-color images in a data grid?
- How do I work with Amnis derived image cytometry data in FCS Express?
- Can I display heat maps with my Image Cytometry data?
- Can I work with data from PerkinElmer Instruments?
- Do you offer 21 CFR Part 11 compliance options for the Image Cytometry Version?
- Do you offer image segmentation or image analysis?
- How do I use CellProfiler Data with FCS Express?
- How do I use ImageJ with FCS Express?
- What file formats are compatible with FCS Express Image Cytometry?
- Where can I find Nexcelom Resources and Applications?
FCS Express on Mac
Upgrading FCS Express
- Can different versions of FCS Express exist on the same computer?
- How can I view and convert my V3 layouts to FCS Express 7?
- How do I import my version 3 security databases into newer versions of FCS Express?
- How do I update Density Plots created in Version 4?
- Is there an upgrade discount from earlier versions of FCS Express?
- Why are my density plots from V3 not displayed correctly in later versions?
- Why are there fewer outlier dots on my FCS Express 5 and later density plots than in V4?