Where is the configuration file located on my computer?
A configuration file for FCS Express is the license key that allows you to access FCS Express.
A configuration file provides information to FCS Express about which options are available for your software. FCS Express loads it when it first starts up, and is required for FCS Express to run. When you purchase FCS Express, or download the demo, a configuration file is emailed to you. Configuration files are required for all installations of FCS Express.
The configuration file ends in a .CONFIG extension and usually has your FCS Express serial number as part of the file name.
You can manually locate your configuration file on a PC at:
- On a PC (Windows 7 and above) it will be located at C:\ProgramData\De Novo Software\FCS Express 7 Research.
- Please note that the ProgramData folder is generally a hidden folder. Typing C:\ProgramData in any windows file browser will help you navigate to this location.
- Please note that ProgramData is not the same as C:\Program Files or Program Files(x86)
- For PC's running Windows 2000 or XP, the location will be: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\De Novo Software\FCS Express 7 Research
On a Mac the configuration file will be located at Library > De Novo Software > FCS Express 7 Research.
Please note that the Library folder is generally a hidden folder. From your Desktop hold down the Alt/Option key and click on the Go menu to reveal the Library folder.
You can manually locate your configuration file on a Mac by:
1. From your Desktop, while holding the Alt/Option button, click on the Go menu. The Library folder is a hidden folder. It will only appear if the Alt/Option button is held while clicking on the Go menu.
Note: On some Macs, you may need to hold the SHIFT button instead of or in addition to Alt/Option to see the Library folder.
2. Once in the Library folder, click on the De Novo Software folder. Within the De Novo Software folder, there will be a folder with the name of the edition of FCS Express that you purchased. The configuration file is located within this folder.
3. Also, as another option to find this folder, click on the Go menu, then select Go To Folder.
Within the Go To Folder window, type in either:
- ~/Library/De Novo Software
- ~/Library/De Novo Software/<FCS Express version name>
The default location of the configuration file is in the directory where FCS Express.exe is located, usually within the FCS Express 7 Research folder.
If the configuration is not located in that directory, the file will be located in a folder parallel to where the FCS Express.exe file is located. The folder will be called "Config".
For instance, if FCS Express was installed at: \\server\share\De Novo Software\FCS Express Flow Research Edition-Win32 then the configuration will be contained in a folder in the path at \\server\share\De Novo Software\Config .
Please see our knowledgebase page regarding running 32-bit and 64-bit versions of FCS Express on the same network license for details on the configuration file location in that installation type.
FCS Express on Mac
Upgrading FCS Express