Site License Information
You may have many questions about how the FCS Express site license works. Below is a list of the most frequently asked questions and answers.
Frequently Asked Site License Questions
- How are site licenses billed?
- How do you calculate the number of users?
- How many people can be logged in at the same time?
- How many user accounts can I create?
- Can I track usage of the site license?
- What happens to the users login in case of an unexpected interruption? For instance a software crash, power failure, etc.
- What happens if the user leaves the computer without logging out?
- If a user left the computer running can the user log themselves out from another computer?
- Can the administrator log users out?
- Do you have to be connected to the internet at all times?
- What happens if I lose my internet connection?
- Can I mix Flow, Image, and Plus site licenses? Can I mix site licenses with and without add-ons?
Have additional questions? Contact email@example.com.
Billing is annual. You pay the fee equivalent to 25 users (currently $5850) at the beginning of the year, and at the end of the year we calculate the total number of users that actually used FCS Express and charge for the additional users above what was paid.
De Novo Software counts the number of users logged in each quarter, and divides by four, to get the number of users for the year.
An unlimited number of users can be logged in simultaneously. You will be billed for the number of users who actually log in to use the software in your billing cycle.
You may create an unlimited number of user accounts.
Yes, if you are logged into FCS Express as an administrator, you may view and generate reports of all users' activity.
What happens to the users login in case of an unexpected interruption? For instance, a software crash, power failure, etc.
Since the user did not exit the program normally, the user's session will still be active and will count as a concurrent user. If the user restarts FCS Express from the same computer, FCS Express will automatically clear out the previous session and start a new one, so only a single concurrent user will be used. Once the user exits the software normally, their session will be cleared. If the user does not restart FCS Express from the same computer, the session will expire after 5 minutes and the user will no longer count as a current user.
Note: as an example, if you are limited to only one concurrent user (i.e., 1 license), and the software terminates abnormally on a computer, you will not be able to log in again from another computer until the 5 minute period has elapsed or the user has restarted the software from the same computer.
Note: The 5 minute period described above is your default "ping" time which can be changed to any value below 5 minutes from the File tab > Security > Edit Security Configuration > Time between pings to the database for keeping user session alive. Please see this page for more details.
If a user leaves the computer with FCS Express still running but did not log out, the default behavior of FCS Express is to keep the session open until the user logs themselves out or the administrator logs the user out.
There are several ways to terminate a users session without them logging out.
- The user may log back into the software from any other computer that is running FCS Express and may choose to remotely log themselves out from the original session.
- The administrator may log in to FCS Express and manually log out any user that has left the software running. The administrator may do this from the File tab > Security > User Administration > Show Active Logins. Then, click on a user's Login Name and press the Logout button.
- The administrator may define an idle time period after which a user will be automatically logged out. The idle time is a period where the user has not performed any action within the software. The administrator may set the idle time via the File tab > Security > Edit Security Configuration. Change the Idle time in seconds before user is logged out from 0 to an amount of time (in seconds) after which a user should be automatically logged out. For example, a value of 600 will change the automatic logout time to 10 minutes after the software is idle. The value of 0 is the default and represents an infinite value, or no idle logout time.
The user may log back into the software from any other computer that is running FCS Express and remotely log out from the original session.
The administrator may log in to FCS Express and manually log out any user that has left the software running. The administrator may do this from the File tab > Security > User Administration > Show Active Logins. Then click on a users Login Name and press the Logout button.
To use the site license you must be connected to the internet at all times. If you wish to use FCS Express without the internet please see our other licensing options.
FCS Express will tolerate brief periods of time where the internet connection is lost. However, if you lose your connection for an extended period you will receive a message that Connection was lost. All actions but Save will be disabled. At this point the software will remain open but you will only be able to save the layout. Upon reconnecting you may open your saved layout and continue with your work.
Yes. You will receive a config file for each site license type for distribution to the appropriate end users. End-user logins to the other site licenses are charged at their respective rates. At the end of the annual billing cycle, the total usage is tallied, and you are charged the amount in excess of the initial fee paid at the beginning of the billing cycle.