Internet Dongle Information
You may have many questions about how the Internet Dongle License works. Below is a list of the most frequently asked questions and answers.
Frequently asked Internet Dongle License Questions
- How many people can be logged in at the same time?
- How many user accounts can I create?
- Can I track usage of the internet dongle?
- What happens to the users login in case of an unexpected interruption? For instance a software crash, power failure, etc.
- What happens if the user leaves the computer without logging out?
- If a user left the computer running can the user log themselves out from another computer?
- Can the administrator log users out?
- Do you have to be connected to the internet at all times?
- What happens if I lose my internet connection?
- Can I try out the internet dongle before I make a purchase?
The number of users logged in at any one time is determined by the number of licenses you have purchased. If you have a single internet dongle license then only one user may be logged in at one time. If you have two internet dongle licenses then up to two people can be logged in at any one time.
If you have the internet dongle, you may create an unlimited number of users, although the number of concurrent users is limited to the number of licenses you have purchased, as described above.
Yes, if you are logged into FCS Express as an administrator, you may view and generate reports of all users' activity.
What happens to the users login in case of an unexpected interruption? For instance, a software crash, power failure, etc. ?
Since the user did not exit the program normally, the user's session will still be active and will count as a concurrent user. If the user restarts FCS Express from the same computer, FCS Express will automatically clear out the previous session and start a new one, so only a single concurrent user will be used. Once the user exits the software normally, their session will be cleared. If the user does not restart FCS Express from the same computer, the session will expire after 5 minutes and the user will no longer count as a current user.
Note: as an example, if you are limited to only one concurrent user (ie. 1 license), and the software terminates abnormally on a computer, you will not be able to log in again from another computer until the 5 minute period has elapsed or the user has restarted the software from the same computer.
Note: The 5 minute period described above is your default "ping" time which can be changed to any value below 5 minutes from the File tab > Security > Edit Security Configuration > Time between pings to the database for keeping user session alive. Please see this page for more details.
If a user leaves the computer with FCS Express still running but did not log out, the default behaviour of FCS Express is to keep the session open until the user logs themselves out or the administrator logs the user out.
There are several ways to terminate a users session without them logging out.
- The user may log back into the software from any other computer that is running FCS Express and may choose to remotely log themselves out from the original session.
- The administrator may log in to FCS Express and manually log out any user that has left the software running. The administrator may do this from the File tab > Security > User Administration > Show Active Logins. Then, click on a user'ss Login Name and press the Logout button.
- The administrator may define an idle time period after which a user will be automatically logged out. The idle time is a period where the user has not performed any action within the software. The administrator may set the idle time via the File tab > Security > Edit Security Configuration. Change the Idle time in seconds before user is logged out from 0 to an amount of time (in seconds) after which a user should be automatically logged out. For example, a value of 600 will change the automatic logout time to 10 minutes after the software is idle. The value of 0 is the default and represents an infinite value, or no idle logout time.
The user may log back into the software from any other computer that is running FCS Express and remotely log out from the original session.
The administrator may log in to FCS Express and manually log out any user that has left the software running. The administrator may do this from the File tab > Security > User Administration > Show Active Logins. Then click on a users Login Name and press the Logout button.
To use the internet dongle you must be connected to the internet at all times. If you wish to use FCS Express without the internet please see our other licensing options.
FCS Express will tolerate brief periods of time where the internet connection is lost. However, if you lose your connection for an extended period you will receive a message that Connection was lost. All actions but Save will be disabled. At this point the software will remain open but you will only be able to save the layout. Upon reconnecting you may open your saved layout and continue with your work.